Update added by user Oct 25
well, more bad news.Took the motor apart for a rebuild and found deep scoring on the rod bearings and the rods had been ground off to the point of being so hot during the process that the rods and bolt heads were blue from the heat.
There was .008 thousandths clearance on the bearings. I suspect that all the filings from grinding the case for the stroker crank was not removed causing the bearing damage.
Scrapped this project and bought another motor using the salvageable parts from this one which were few.Did not use the crank,block heads, cam,lifters( which were also worn suspect used) cylinders or pistons so not much left that was any good.
Original review posted by user Nov 28, 2015
I am working on a 2110 gex motor that came to the shop missing and running poorly and backfireing out nbr 3 and 4 carbs with 197 miles since install but was installed in 2005 and not run due to customer health issues.compression was 150 on 2 and 3 but 75 on 4 and 135 on 3.
after teardown found nbr 4 valve pocket had a broken piece where the valve guide was driven into the head. There didn't appear to be any damage to the piston but the head had some dings indicating that piece had gone through an engine the head was on, either this or a previous engine. The 4 cylinder was badly scored which was the probable reason for the low compression and the oil soaked head and piston. The head was ported except for around the valve guides on this 2-4 side but on the 1-3 side the material was removed from around the guides.
no washers under the valve springs to prevent the springs from eroding the head. the springs are single and seem weak but I don't at this time have a way to measure spring pressure.
Being a 10 year old engine I don't expect much from GEX even though the owner bought the three year extended warranty but this is more about the quality of the build than expecting any assistance or compensation.I am planning on replacing the cylinders and heads and piston assemblies without tearing the rest of the motor apart as the oil pressure was good if the customer is willing.
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Product or service
- Gex International Turn Key Performance Volkswagen Engine
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "I received one of these freshners free with a scentsy order, I put it in my car, but did not hang it up as it would distract my view and..."
- "They advertise convertible tops that are junk and don't respond to warranty claims or refunds. Their phone number listed with eBay goes to a Dominos Pizza. They scammed me..."
- "Our 2008 Itasca Navion MH by Winnebago, which we purchased new, has a propane tank, as you can see by the accompanying images, that is disintegrating and putting our lives..."
- "Leased a vehicle and 2 weeks later it died in the middle of the intersection after the radiator cooling fans stopped working, the air conditioning stopped working, the gas..."
- "HI, I ORDERED A NIKON D5500 FOR $529.00 THEN WHEN I CALLED TO CHECK ON THE ORDER THEY TOLD ME I WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITH THE US VERSION FOR..."
- "Good Morning, Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post on trusted advisor. I don't post ever until I have exhausted all options for customer satisfaction. I..."
- "Got a car at Luton Airport GM while raining and couldn't check it thoroughly. When I returned it they found these scratches and charged me 688 GBP! And the GM..."
- "I have known and respected Jesse Keyes for over 25 years. Jesse Keyes has a successful list of credentials in his academic and professional life. After meeting him at Princeton,..."